Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fireplace Renovation, Finale.

We finished this a couple weeks ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting. Lots of stuff going on around here lately, including my mother moving in for a couple weeks since she's about to close on the contract to sell her house, and us ripping out nearly all the landscaping in the front yard to redo it (which I will get around to posting pictures of soon, hopefully). Oh and it's my last semester of undergrad. Yeah, sh!t's been insane.
Before. Not terrible, just kinda boring.
After trying to remove the paint. The orange tint is dried on Citristrip.
Down to the frame.
New MDF, before we decided to replace the tile also. Legs are 1.5 inches wider on each side.
Mantle #1. I hated it, the proportions were wrong. And it was ugly.
New 2" x 2" travertine mosaic tile.
Tile after grouting.

Using painters tape to decide if I wanted to do detail trim on the front.

Finished fireplace!

Ta-da! Sure it took 5 months instead of two weeks, but overall I'm really happy with how it turned out.