Friday, September 24, 2010

Thinking More About Living Room Art.

Been super busy with school.

I've mentioned previously about possibly using rasterbator to make a huge print. I did a mock-run of a picture by Nivbed. We used the free printing at school to do a black and white version. The scale is nice. It needed more contrast in the original, because it's very Monet, even on the other side of the room, although you can still discern what the picture is of. Also, it doesn't lay perfectly flat. I taped all the pieces together, and it didn't fit completely perfectly together and there are some crazy undulations. So it would have to be glued to the wall, or to something else which would then hang on the wall. I don't know if I want to commit that much.

You probably would like to see a a picture of the rasterbator mock up, but since I think it's sad and pathetic, I'm not gonna.

So here are some other options I'm considering:

1) Large frames with large white mats, small art.

I like this option because it's simple, clean, and graphic. And you can find nice pieces of art that are small (i.e. cheap) but still make them have a big impact. I would do three frames above our couch, since it's so long and odd numbers look better.

2) Plates!

I really love the different graphic colors. It would probably make more sense in the dining room, but the kitchen is adjacent to the living room also, and hey, they are there for art rather than function. I don't have any graphic plates though. UO has some neat ones I'm always eyeing. I could probably get some of the awesome melamine ones from Target (which I have never picked up because Plastic plates + hot food = no bueno) also for fairly cheap, but the price would still add up for the number I would need. I'm too impatient to go scrounging flea markets and Etsy for the next several years to create a vintage collection.

So that's that. Probably gonna go with #1, whenever I feel like dropping $60+ on frames. That doesn't include finding the art and then getting custom mats. I can always do the plate wall on the blank wall of our mini hallway.

*images are borrowed from Apartment Therapy posts.*

0 comments: